Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Grammy in Ikenne

Yeah I'm back. And it's with a lot of joy.
For those that wanna know, the anniversary was BAM as expected. All the stars that adorned the color of the great institution came around. Many of them, even the first set (1956) were around.
The only set of fuck-ups were that digital camera, Baba Iyabo & Gbenga Daniels. Madam wasn't around though ( u no fit call arugbo fuck up now, except you don't wanna dagba!!!). The camera suddenly became crippled like the Teranga lions. The heat of the environment was too much. Oga Udeh and Mr. Achampong (Champon) are still kicking it there. Baba Aiyedun has been exiled by irate (ijaw :D) students. Messrs. Kolawole & Taiwo are unwaveringly present like constants in a mathematical equation. I hear Dugo died sometimes ago. Big Michael (as permanent as Mayflower) also graced the occasion.
All past principals : Messrs Kujore, Odubanjo, Osiboye and even Morafa were present.
Grooving started with bonfire on the school field ard 7:30 pm. I went to B4 to rest when it was around 2:30am. Others were still kicking it hard at that time. I just had to go take some nap jare! I couldn't take it anymore.
So up I wake on saturday morning as early as 5:30 (2hrs 30 minss after I slept) to charge my camera batteries which suddenly got a mind of its own when it got to Ikenne. I went to Junior school to charge dem. No amount of charging brought the mind of the rechargeable batteries back. It stills baffles me what came over both the batteries and the camera. I managed it sha.
Joined the students in drinking Ogi and Moinmoin ( the thing was sweet oh, they even put sugar for kids of nowadays) around 10 before heading for town to buy batteries.
All the way up, past Uren river, greeting Pa Kolawole Oronti in front of his abode to St. Saviours towards Central mosque and we eventually found a shop where we
could get fresh batteries. Uhh, relieved. But the relief was only for some time. I later discovered that the batteries werent powerful enough to last minutes **Oh,no**. Ex-Mays had started cruising in and we met some at Iya Wosila (regular food joint where we used to sneak from school to long time ago). I couldn't believe this woman is still doing food business. This woman ought to be the McDonalds of Nigeria oh!
Then we went back to Second Home to make sure we don't miss any event that happens at all.
Ex-Mays started trooping in. Old friends (& wicked seniors) and those who bring happy tears to one whose childhood days are past. I couldn't bare seeing people I've long parted with. After a couple of minutes, I just fainted............












Good old Gbongboro, Tasere's 1st abode & Bush Library

2 comments:

Abby said...

Hmm...talking of old school, yeah right, that sure brought back some memory...I went to Ijebu Ode Grammar School though...May is just right there...lol..nice on there man!

Anthony Arojojoye said...

Hmmn..JOGS...brings good memories.
We used to tussle for everything then. Literary n debating, inter-hoouse sports et al.