Friday, December 15, 2006

Reminiscence

Sitting at home for a huge part of the day has made me realise how much christmas is in the air. The T.V was just blaring with songs of xmas, station after station. I didn't realise that xmas has come so close until that moment.
There and then I started have nostalgic feelings about my 'kid old days'. A great flush of smile painted the horizon of my face. All the songs sang brought back rich memories of very naughty and funny past.
A few of us formed a cartel then that was very good at twisting just about any song and placing the remix in a very wonderful form that they would be hard to differentiate from their originals. We also learned many from God-knows-where.
I remember singing many of those songs so much that I forgot once that I was at home in the presence of my mum when the urge to sing fell on me. I burst into:

Jingle bell jingle bell jingle all the way
Babangida open yash
Everybody shout 'O n run'
Jingle bell jingle bell jingle all the way
Babangida open yash
Everybody shout


Mum immediately shouted the song back to where it was coming from.
Is that the song they are teaching you in Grace that we pay so much for? I'm going to complain to your teachers that they aren't teaching you the right songs.

I was just looking at her and thinking within myself that that was the only song she heard and she had started complaining. What if I then sang a couple of our cartel-remix for her wetin go happen?

I digress....

I remembered many also and the vivid pictures of my young friends came alive in my head:

Iya Dele ti se'be /2ce
Ebi n pa wa
Awa fe je'yan
Iya Dele ti se'be.

It's an adaptation for 'We are H-A-P-P-Y..........'

And this one:

Wherever you go
(Go-go-gon-go!)
Wherever you be
(Sisi eko!)
Do not say yes
When you mean to say no
(Baba Ibadan!)

Whatever we did, we never sang to the hearing of Mrs. Osinowo 'cos she would practically slap the taste out of our mouths. If it was Mr Natnah (we used to call him Ninety-nine), Mr. Zubair (Suberu) or Mr. Ablodepee - I no sabi the spelling jare!( A-bloody-fool was closest to our reasoning). If it was Mr Aful that caught us, then we autopsy would have officially confirmed us dead. All those Ghanian teaches were both funny and weird somehow. I remember the music teacher - Mr. Devor (we used to call him devil 'cos he REALLY looked like the devil himself). I loved music so much, but I couldn't let the devil hold my hands to teach me to play the piano.

I wonder where the likes of Nike Oyediran, Kunle Odekoya, Dennis Adetoye, Tope Shokunbi, Tope Osinubi, Maria Alege, Steve Nmecha, Ikeri Enyinna, Chimezie Onuegbu, Ndubisi Chidebelu, Nike Laoye, Demola Ajayi et al will be at the moment. Possibly married with rugrats and all other entanglements of life.
Or they could be reminiscing just as I am right now.............

How often do you think about your childhood days? Do you get smiles written across your face? What funny/twisted songs do you remember?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I rememeber your last song - casue of the baba ibadan chorus - lol - but its so true - u do wonder about the lives of the people u went to school with. Luckily my high school (secondary school) have a friends reunited website - where I can visit and see what my secondary school chums are up (from ages 12 to now) - but the primary school naaa.

I am currently thinking of the songs that we sang as kids that we picked up from people. we wern't that original.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard, I have tears in my eyes. Hmm Ghanian teachers.

Anonymous said...

"I loved music so much but I couldn't let the devil hold my hands to teach me how to play the piano"...

Lollll...he must have really been the devil!