Monday, November 28, 2005

Ten commandments

I went for a wedding ceremony on Saturday & I really enjoyed myself.
It was in an Anglican church & trust blacks, we're never on time. Both groom and bridegroom came late. The vicar (abi na priest) was already brimming fire & brimstone if the couple came as late as 1 hr after the scheduled time. If they weren't present, he said he was gonna join 2 seats together and leave for home. LOL!
U needed to c his face 2 know that he meant it.
Well, I was busy enjoying the serenity of the edifice, prowling through the designs with my eyes when the Vicar was churning out words enough to fill an encyclopaedia. It's been a while I entered mighty & sacred edifices last, so I had to refresh my memory.
In turning my head almost 360 degrees, i discovered 2 marble plates of The Ten Commandments on the walls. I tried reciting the ten before looking through the plates, but I was able to remember only 2:
1. Thou shall not have another God except for me.
2. Thou shall not commit adultery.
There was nothing I cld do to remember the rest. I had to bow my head in shame. After many years of going to church, I cldn't even remember those basic rules.
It's not my fault you know,neither am I the only one. I know that President George W. Bush also doesn't even know many out of the ten commandments. If he did, he wouldn't have invaded Iraq. Cos I read on the marble plates 'Thou shalt not Kill'.
I then realised that Pentecostalism has stepped us so very high not to remember nitty-gritties like 10 commandments.
D most amazing thing that happened was that my cousin who has a PhD in anything in skirts was able to recite like 6 of them. I was impressed. So yanshists also read the bible very well?!
My prayer is that God shouldn't ask us to recite the Ten commandments before we enter heaven. Or else...............different versions go dey oh!. There'll even be remix self.

2 comments:

Nneka's World said...

Thou shall not serve any other god before me
Thou shall not kill
Thou shall not steal
Thou shall not convert thy neighbours’ goods,
Thou shall not commit adultery
Honour thy father and thy mother
Thos shall not take the lord’s name in vain
Remember the holy Sabbath day

Sadly those are the one's i remember and they are not in the correct order :)
Of course you know no say na the people wey the commit worse, wey fit quote the bible for you ;)

Anonymous said...

1. Thou shall have no other God but me.
2. Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember to keep the Sabbath holy.
4. Honour thy Father and thy mother.
5. Thou shall not kill.
6. Thou shall not committ adultery.
7. Thou shall not steal.
8. Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbours wife.
10. Thou shall not covet thy neigbours goods.

I must have good memory. I was taught this when six, and it just stuck in my brain. I'm not pentecostal either!!!